Last modified: January 3, 2022
Our After School Martial Arts class is in its 20th year. We have students who started this program as kindergartners who have advanced through the program and are now black belts instructing the class. Students are trained in the Korean Martial Art of Hapkido. Master Jay Nicol oversees the program and holds a 5th degree black belt in Won Jin Hapkido. We have many older students in the class who are black belts and black belt candidates. They are required to teach as a part of their black belt advancement, which gives the younger students in the class the opportunity to have one-on-one instruction. Our instructors this year are 2nd and 3rd degree black belts.
Class Focus: The purpose of the class is to build and strengthen the student’s self-confidence, focus, discipline, respect for self and others. The student will learn leadership skills, self-defense, physical fitness, and have the opportunity to advance three ranks in Won Jin Hapkido over the course of the school year. We encourage students to participate the entire school year in order to achieve all three rank advancements. The ultimate goal is to have the students become proficient enough to achieve a black belt rank in Won Jin Hapkido, but most of all, we love to have fun.
Masters Kristen Santa Maria and Andy Richardson are the instructors.
- Class Fee: $0
- Additional fees: $30/uniform, and $25 at the end of November, February and May for belt and rank testing are paid to the Hapkido organization.
- Who: K-6th graders
- When: Tuesday & Thursday
- Time: 4:00-4:45pm
- Where: Rock Canyon gym
- 1st Session Starts: Sep 14 Testing for Belt Advancement: Nov 23
- 2nd Session Starts: Dec 2 Testing for Belt Advancement: Feb 24
- 3rd Session Starts: Mar 1 Testing for Belt Advancement: May 19
- Last day of class before Winter Break will be December 16